Working our way to a BIG Zero!
Our amazing crew of staff and volunteers work hard to make Green Festival® sustainable. We are always at work toward a truly zero waste event, where consumers can be assured that companies are committed to environmental sustainability. The 2013 Washington, D.C. Green Festival celebrated a 94% Resource Recovery Rate, including recyclables, compost and grey water.
A team of dedicated volunteers works with staff to ensure Green Festivals across the nation hold the highest resource recovery rate:
- A dedicated Green Team of volunteers is trained to operate Resource Recovery Stations and instruct attendees on the correct bins to dispose items. The Green Team can also be found sorting waste behind the scenes, to ensure we meet our resource recovery goal.
- All food vendors and samplers use ONLY biodegradable/compostable foodwares and utensils - every plate, fork, spoon, knife, cup, bowl, napkin, coffee stirrer and sample cup will be composted with food scraps.
- All signs are either part of the permanent collection, printed on renewable forest byproducts using water-based inks, or they are recycled or donated.
- We work closely with our exhibitors to help them be as green as possible, from offsetting freight to providing resources for eco-friendly packaging and re-usable booth materials.
How you can help at Green Festival:
- Bring your own water container.
- Compost all foodware at the event at a Resource Recovery Station.
- Use public transportation whenever possible. Or, ride your bike! There are special admission incentives for biking to Green Festival.
- Spread the message – sustainable living is possible!
- Be sure to thank our volunteers.